A Hundred Years Later!
On March 17, 1908, the major celebrations marking the 300th anniversary of the founding of Québec City led to the creation of the National Battlefields Commission now a Canadian Heritage portfolio agency, as well as magnificent Battlefields Park.
The Commission’s mandate was to conserve and showcase the park, a priceless gift to the public, to give all Canadians the opportunity to enjoy the site and gain a deeper appreciation of its crucial role in Canada’s history.
The countdown has begun. A hundred years later, this institution remains faithful to its mission and to history. With Battlefields Park as a natural gathering site, preparations for a number of activities are underway to celebrate its 100th anniversary. These celebrations will bring additional variety to the activities in store for 2008, also the 400th anniversary of Québec City. This year of celebrations is going to be unforgettable.
What's been done
- Announcement of a contribution to the National Battlefields Commission for infrastructure upgrades for the 2008 celebrations (February 9, 2007)
What's being done
- Infrastructure upgrades
- Organizing events to celebrate the National Battlefields Commission's 100th anniversary
- Co-operation with the Société du 400e anniversaire de la ville de Québec and other organizations to hold activities in the park in 2008
What will be doneThe National Battlefields Commission's 100th anniversary celebrations:
- Free admission to the Odyssey exhibit for Québec City residents (Saturdays and Sundays in January)
- Centennial Ball – March 15
- Public celebration of the 100th anniversary – March 16
- Great Celebration of Nature – special edition – and launch of Abraham Martin rosebush – May 11
- Inauguration of exhibit for the park’s centenary under the 100th anniversary tent – June
- Unveiling of monuments to Frederick G. Todd and other notable figures – June
- Edwin Bélanger Bandstand – special edition – June 21 to August 3 and August 30-31
- French anniversary show – July 14
- Activities for all – July 26 to August 3
- New mystery activity at the Martello Tower – July and August
- Plains of Abraham Epic – August 13-17
- Halloween Celebrations – special edition – October 1-31
- Québec Winter Carnival – February 1-17
- Pentathlon des neiges – February 22-24
- Jeux nationaux d’hiver Québec 2008 – February 27 to March 1
- Eucharistic Conference Closing Mass – June 22
- Festivities and show for Quebec National Day – June 23-24
- Festivities and show for Canada Day – July 1
- Festival d’Été – July 3-13
- US Independence Day celebrations – July 4
- Québec City’s 400th anniversary picnic – July 6
- Exhibit of antique British cars – July 20-21
- Semaine internationale de la chanson closing show – August 23
- Old-fashioned golf tournament – end of August
(These activities and events subject to change)
What will remain
- New infrastructure, some existing facilities rebuilt
- A lasting memory of the festivities and a legacy for future generations
* Activities marking the 100th anniversary of the National Battlefields Commission are closely linked with the Québec City 400th anniversary celebrations.